Markington, Nr.Harrogate - North Yorkshire HG3 3NR - 01765 677327 - email@example.com
Please view our MENU on the website at www.yorkshirehussar.com
The Bar has original stone flag floors and beamed ceilings, when entering the property
from the street, the door on the left was the 'Snug Room' today's equivalent of the
Public Lounge, now private quarters. The Pool Room was not part of the pub but a
private house including the little passage area from the bar room window to the door
into the pool room, now known locally as 'The Punch & Judy' area, this was a 'Larder'
in the house. From the outside of the property you can see how the Poolroom has been
attached to the lounge with a built on passage. The ladies toilets upstairs were
the two bedrooms in the house. This alteration was done by Mr Edward Denton (Jim's
son-in-law) & Mr Bruce Bainbridge in 1984.
The Pub Lounge in 1947 was originally the kitchen, but only half of it - up to the centre beam. From there to the chimney, it was a Wash House for the four cottages. (i.e. Mr & Mrs Hunts house-now the pool room, Mr & Mrs Tinsley's House-now knocked down to make an entrance into the Site, Mr & Mrs Anderson's house-partly knocked down and now part of the reception, and Mrs. Patrick's house-the other half of the Reception. Jim and Bill Pearson converted the old kitchen into a Public Lounge in 1950.
Today's Kitchen was originally 'The Brew House.' Where they brewed the beer.
The Private Lounge was a stable, infact we kept a horse in there during the early 50's, her name was 'Violet' and on loan to us from Cayton Farm to help us with all the alternations. The two bedrooms above the stables were one big function room with a cocktail bar used for parties and dances. You can ask Daisy
The Car Park was not as large as it is today, gardens came down to the house in line with the Old Petrol Pump which was last used around 1970. We finally stopped serving petrol as the petrol companies refused to supply us with small quantities and we found we could buy it cheaper at Monkton Moor Garage than we could buy it in from the suppliers.
In the early days the land was originally used for the growing of Barley to make the beer, we used it as a market garden growing produce such as cabbages and peas. We also kept pigs.
The Idea of a Caravan Park was discussed over a pint of beer (as all good ideas are) with Mr Heber Fox back in 1949, when he asked Jim if he and his brother could bring their little caravans here so that he didn't have to drive home to Batley. They stayed here for approx 5yrs but when Jim applied for a Site License for 11 caravans they decided to leave because that was too many vans! Jim later applied for 30 vans and again later for 75.
The Park Reception was originally three outside toilets and coal sheds for the cottages which were converted in 1980, when Jim & Ishbel retired from the pub in 1982 allowing their son Peter to take over. The reception was originally run from the Pub Kitchen Door.
Back in 1947 the only way to the rear of the property was through a narrow archway, shown on one of the photos in the pub. Around 1948/49 Jim first knocked down one house next to the arch – Mr. & Mrs. Tinsley house (Mrs. Tinsley being Daisy's sister) to allow motor vehicles through. Daisy worked behind the Bar before we bought the pub & only retired a few years ago, she still visits us on a Friday evening.
Later in 1964 we knocked down the arch to allow access for larger caravans which were getting bigger & bigger. Caravans today continue to get bigger and the only way for us to get the large 12ft x 30ft caravans in would be to knock down another house! The original beams that supported the old arch can be seen inside The Cross Keys Inn, above the lounge windows & over the fire place. But that’s another story…..